Mother Jennifer Brooks and son Beaudry address media outside Surrey RCMP detachment Tuesday morning. (Tracy Holmes photo)

VIDEO: RCMP officer charged in connection with B.C. man’s death

Charges confirmed in 2015 Hudson Brooks case

Two-and-a-half years after police shot and killed her son Hudson in South Surrey, Jennifer Brooks has learned that one officer has been charged.

It’s “a huge accomplishment,” Brooks told Peace Arch News Tuesday morning, following a meeting with Crown Counsel. “I wanted charges.”

BC Prosecution Service confirmed Surrey RCMP Const. Elizabeth Cucheran has been charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the July 18, 2015 incident.

The charges were sworn Tuesday morning; Cucheran’s first court appearance is set for Jan. 9 in Surrey Provincial Court.

Brooks learned Monday morning that a decision on charges had been made, and told PAN she was “praying” it would be the outcome she and others have been calling for.

Outside the Crown office Tuesday, Brooks expressed her gratitude to the community and media.

“I’m so grateful – I’m grateful to you all. We could not have done this without each and every one of you.”

She also thanked Hudson for being “such a wonderful son… He didn’t deserve this.”

Hudson Brooks was 20 when he died on July 18, 2015, after what police initially described as a physical struggle outside of the South Surrey RCMP detachment, in the 1800-block of 152 Street. The altercation also resulted in an officer being transported to hospital with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

video2

nly police-issued firearms were found at the scene.

Over time, Jennifer Brooks learned that her son had been shirtless and unarmed at the time, and that he was shot at close range.

In October of last year, the Independent Investigations Office announced that a report would be filed to Crown counsel “for consideration of charges” against one or more officers in connection with Brooks’ death.

On the one-year anniversary of that news, his mother told PAN the wait has been “such agony.”

The news release issued by BC Prosecution Service Tuesday morning said charges were approved following a complete review of evidence by senior Crown counsel.

“The investigation and charge assessment process were protracted due, in part, to the complexities of the evidentiary issues in the case and the requirement for further investigation and analysis,” the release states.

Jennifer Brooks said she now understands why the process took so long.

“Crown counsel took this very, very seriously,” Brooks commented. “It took a long, long time. There was a lot of evidence and they had to decipher through everything.”

Brother Beaudry Brooks, 24, said he was “relieved” to hear charges were laid in his sibling’s death, but that he believes the officer “probably should have been charged higher.”

Jennifer Brooks said she’s just happy to have charges, and that she hopes it will “make a difference in how police handle situations.”

She does not, however, want to know what the accused looks like, and has said she will not share the officer’s name on social media, even though it is already public.

“They have a family, too,” she said. “I’m not on a witch hunt. I don’t think this woman walked out and said, ‘I’m going to shoot and kill a boy today.’ It’s such a tragedy. There’s a no-win situation here, for our family and hers.”

facebook video

 

Mother Jennifer Brooks and son Beaudry address media outside Surrey RCMP detachment Tuesday morning. (Aaron Hinks photo)

Jennifer Brooks protests with family and friends in July, calling on Crown counsel to move forward with charges in connection with the police-shooting death of her son, Hudson. (File photo)

Family and friends of Hudson Brooks march as part of a call for answers from an IIO investigation into his 2015 death. (File photo)

Hudson Brooks. (File photo)

Jennifer Brooks leads a protest in July calling on Crown counsel to move forward with charges in connection with the police-shooting death of her son, Hudson. (File photo)

Just Posted

Ferry connecting Port Hardy and Bella Coola expected to set sail this summer

Its first in-service route will sail in central coast waters on May 18, 2019.

BC Parks Student Ranger Program accepting applications for 2019 season

12 crews of four student rangers will work in regions throughout the province including Bella Coola.

Over $650,00 given to rural communities thanks to Rural Dividends

Five communities, including Williams Lake, are receiving $10,000 for project grants

Pregnant Cariboo firefighter tries to save own house from blaze

Julia Flinton and Anthony Sellars both worked on the 2017 wildfires

Road report for Highway 20

Fog patches and slippery sections; Drive BC

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read