Saanich police say a family they were working to locate is safe and the investigation is closed. (Courtesy of Saanich police)

Saanich police say a family they were working to locate is safe and the investigation is closed. (Courtesy of Saanich police)

UPDATED: Saanich police say ‘missing’ family is safe, investigation closed

Police were working to ‘ensure the safety of the children,’ officer says

Saanich Police say a family reported missing last month have been located safe.

On Sept. 12, the department asked for help locating Bradley Cook, Melissa Trost and their two children who they believed to be travelling in B.C. or Alberta. Police say they were seeking information on the family’s whereabouts in order to assess their well-being.

The family themselves responded to the plea, telling media they were not missing at all. Saanich Police confirmed, shortly after, that the family wasn’t missing but that police wanted to locate them to “ensure the safety of the children.”

Saanich Police now say the family has been located and all members are safe. Const. Markus Anastasiades, public information officer for the Saanich police, said the investigation is closed.

“Investigators have now concluded this investigation and no further information will be released at this time.”

***

(Original release)

Police have confirmed the Saanich family that they are trying to find after failing to return back in Victoria for more than a week is not missing.

On Saturday, Sept. 12, Saanich Police Department issued an alert about a family of four whose whereabouts were unknown.

According to police, Bradley Michael Cook, 42, Melissa Renee Trost, 40, and their two young children, ages 4 and 2, were believed to be travelling somewhere in eastern B.C. or Alberta. They’d planned to return to Victoria on Sept. 4 but have not been seen.

A television station in Edmonton had reported they received an email from a man claiming to be Cook, saying that they weren’t missing and the police knew it.

The Saanich family then reportedly sent two photos to the Edmonton television station, each with one parent holding both their kids with a hand-written note for confirmation.

In several emails to the television station, the man claims their family is in a legal dispute involving the Saanich police department.

On Sunday morning, Cook told the television station that their family was in Edmonton.

Sgt. Markus Anastasiades, Saanich police media communications officer, confirmed in an email Sunday that the detachment wasn’t available for comment, but will have further discussions with investigators Monday.

READ ALSO: MISSING: VicPD continue search for high-risk missing 18-year-old


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

AlbertaBritish Columbiamissing personSaanich Police Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Highway 20 is now open but conditions are still challenging (Dawson Road Maintenance photo)
Some customers still without power as additional crews brought in to help

Trees continued to fall onto lines even after the actual storm had passed

The exposure occurred on 24th, 25th, & 26th November 2020, and affects Grade 7, 8, 9, 10 (file photo)
COVID-19 case confirmed at Acwsalcta School

The exposure occurred on 24th, 25th, & 26th November 2020, and affects Grade 7, 8, 9, 10.

A convoy of vehicles passes through Heckman Pass on Highway 20 as cleanup operations continued Saturday. Dawson Road Maintenance is asking motorists to watch for crews and equipment working throughout the area. (Dawson Road Maintenance photo/Facebook)
Highway 20 reopens between Anahim Lake and Bella Coola after winter storm Friday

“We appreciate your patience as we continue to clear wood debris and widen sections of the road.”

Bella Coola RCMP are alerting residents that the road between 4 Mile subdivision and downtown will be closed until at least tomorrow. (File image)
Winter storm closes 4 Mile to downtown road in Bella Coola

Police it will remain closed until Saturday, at least

A tongue-in-cheek message about wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 on a sign outside a church near Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection count climbs back up to 656

20 more people in hospital, active cases still rising

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
B.C. researchers launch study to test kids, young adults for COVID-19 antibodies

Kids and youth can often be asymptomatic carriers of the novel coronavirus

A sign is seen this past summer outside the Yunesit’in Government office west of Williams Lake reminding visitors and members to stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Rebecca Dyok photo)
B.C. First Nation leaders await privacy commissioner decision on COVID-19 information

Release of life-saving data cannot wait, says coalition of First Nations

MLA Jennifer Whiteside is B.C.’s new minister of education. She is speaking out against Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld and asking him to resign. (Black Press)
New education minister calls on Chilliwack trustee to resign

Whiteside echoes former minister’s promise to look at options to remove Barry Neufeld

Peter Beckett. ~ File photo
Supreme Court of Canada to decide if it will hear appeal in 2010 wife murder trial

Peter Beckett has stood trial twice for murder in connection with the death of his wife, Laura Letts-Beckett

Tabor Home in Abbotsford. (Ben Lypka/Abbotsford News)
B.C.’s largest COVID-19 care-home outbreak records 19 deaths, 147 cases

Tabor Home in Abbotsford has been battling outbreak since Nov. 4

Most Read