Police have issued a country-wide arrest warrant for Ronjot Singh Dhami, 25. He is wanted for one count of aggravated assault in connection to an attack on a man with autism. (Photo: Police handout)

Lawyer for one suspect in beating of man with autism says he’s not guilty

Ronjot Singh Dhami will turn himself in, lawyer said

A lawyer representing a suspect in the beating of an autistic man says his client is not guilty of the attack that drew outrage from across the country.

Jag Virk says 25-year-old Ronjot Singh Dhami — whose last known address was in Surrey, B.C. — will turn himself into police, but he maintains his innocence.

Peel Regional Police named Dhami as one of three suspects in the beating, which took place last week at a bus terminal in Mississauga, just west of Toronto.

READ: Surrey man wanted in ‘vicious’ attack on autistic man has criminal history

Police identified the second suspect as Parmvir (Parm) Singh Chahil, a 21 year-old man of no fixed address.

The third person allegedly involved in the incident has not yet been positively identified, but police say he might go by the first name of Jason.

A video of the attack released by police on March 13 shows the unidentified victim sitting at the bottom of a stairwell putting on roller blades when three men approached from behind and began to punch and kick him.

Police say the man suffered a broken nose and facial cuts.

A Canada-wide arrest warrant for Chahil and Dhami has been issued on one count each of aggravated assault.

Police say all three suspects may still be in the Toronto area and are being encouraged to call a lawyer and turn themselves in.

Police say anyone who sees Chahil or Dhami should call police and not approach the men.

Just Posted

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

UPDATE: 5 injured in plane crash following Abbotsford International Airshow

One in critical condition in incident involving vintage plane

Shag Creek area under evacuation order, area expanded

93 properties are being told to evacuate immediately

B.C. Wildfires 2018: Thousands prepare to leave their homes at a moment’s notice

Northwest B.C. and Cariboo seeing most fire activity in province as crews battle 490 fires

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Safeway union urges prejection of mediator recommendations

Says mediator asks for too many concessions

Fire chases B.C. crews out of their own camp

Crews in Burns Lake had to leave after a wildfire reportedly overtook their sleeping quarters

To address peacock problem, B.C. city moves ahead on trapping plan

Surrey’s new bylaw focuses on ensuring people no longer feed the birds, ahead of relocation

Hospitals to see ‘delays’ in care after losing Saudi students, health group says

About 1,000 Saudi residents called back to kingdom after suspending diplomatic relations with Canada

Bernier diatribe against ‘extreme multiculturalism’ boosts Liberal coffers

Party spokesperson Braeden Caley says online donations doubled, social media engagement quadrupled

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

Most Read