A week later and still no winner in New Brunswick

New Brunswick still deadlocked after recounts confirm results in three ridings

The recounts are in, but New Brunswick is no closer to having a definitive winner from last week’s election.

Elections New Brunswick spokesman Paul Harpelle said Friday new tallies have been completed in three ridings with razor-thin margins — and each has confirmed the election night results.

The outcome of the Sept. 24 provincial election thus remains at 22 seats for the Progressive Conservatives and 21 for the Liberals, a virtual deadlock. The Green party and the People’s Alliance each have three seats.

“I’m calling on the premier to do the right thing, to resign,” Tory Leader Blaine Higgs told reporters in Fredericton Friday after all the recount results were announced.

“Let’s not procrastinate any longer,” he said. “Let’s stop the charades and let’s move forward … with a government in place that’s legitimately elected and duly ready to serve.”

RELATED: Andrew Weaver congratulates New Brunswick on electing first Green caucus

Instead, Premier Brian Gallant announced several cabinet changes Friday, noting all changes are in an acting capacity.

“During this period of transition, we wanted to ensure that government departments are administered by elected MLAs,” he said in a press release.

“We have a strong, capable, experienced team of ministers who will take on new responsibilities on an interim basis to focus on New Brunswickers’ priorities.”

The judicial recount in Oromocto-Lincoln-Fredericton, sought by the runner-up Liberal candidate, confirmed the Tories’ 93-vote victory, while an 11-vote victory for the Green party was also confirmed Friday in Memramcook-Tantramar.

A recount completed Thursday by a New Brunswick judge confirmed a narrow Liberal win in the Saint John Harbour riding.

“Having the ballots from these three districts hand-counted by a judge, with no changes, confirms that you can count on the tabulation machines to do their job accurately,” chief electoral officer Kim Poffenroth said in a statement Friday.

A lawyer for the Progressive Conservative candidate has alleged that about 40 Saint John Harbour voters cast their ballots twice and has said he may reinstate an application for the result to be thrown out by early next week.

The Liberals say they plan to proceed to a throne speech later this month as they seek to hold on to power.

RELATED: B.C. could provide clues as to how New Brunswick electoral results shake out

The right-leaning People’s Alliance has said it has an informal plan to support a Progressive Conservative government for up to 18 months.

The Liberals have said they will not negotiate with the People’s Alliance due to its linguistic policies – which include scrapping the office of the commissioner of official languages.

Meanwhile, the Green party has been holding talks this week with both the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives, with leader David Coon saying the meetings are in the early stages.

Michael Murphy, a New Brunswick lawyer and former Liberal cabinet minister who lost the leadership to Gallant in 2012, suggested on Twitter that it might be time for the party to rethink its post-election strategy.

“If the uncertainty continues with the LG aware Higgs ready and PA leader saying he will support for 18 months then the Liberal caucus is not only tolerating it but has endorsed it. The brand is being damaged for any election in 18 months or three years. Bond agencies et al concerned,” Murphy tweeted Friday afternoon.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Road report for Highway 20

Fog patches and slippery sections; Drive BC

Woman killed in head-on crash near Vanderhoof

RCMP say driver crossed the centre line and hit a loaded fuel tanker truck

Mining company prospecting for gold near Bella Coola

Gold discovered in alpine areas where glaciers are receding

‘Tripod’ delays access to Unist’ot’en camp

Social media rumours of cultural significance quashed, meaning police “exclusion zones” should end.

Hereditary chiefs negotiate injunction agreement

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs abide by interim injunction, but gate stays up. Still opposed.

VIDEO: Car flies across median, flips over edge of B.C. overpass

Dash cam footage shows vehicle speeding across Brunette Avenue overpass in Coquitlam

Indigenous energy summit includes session on pipeline ownership options

Steven Saddleback of the Indian Resource Council says a session will feature presentations on financing models

Japanese grand champion Kisenosato retires from sumo

The 32-year-old Kisenosato was the first Japanese-born wrestler in 19 years to gain promotion to sumo’s highest rank

UPDATE: Accused B.C. high school killer found fit to stand trial

Gabriel Klein is accused in the 2016 stabbing death of Letisha Reimer at Abbotsford Senior Secondary

Right-wing, neo-Nazi, white supremacist groups an increasing concern: Goodale

Ten people died in April 2018 when Alek Minassian allegedly drove a rental van down the busy stretch in Toronto

Canadian stock exchanges to conduct lottery for ‘POT’ ticker amid high demand

The symbol became available after fertilizer Potash Corp. officially merged with Agrium Inc. in early 2018

Millennial Money: Don’t let Instagram envy get you into debt

A full 48 per cent of U.S. households have credit card debt

Jury debates fate of man accused of killing 12-year-old B.C. girl 40 years ago

Police allege Garry Handlen told a cop how he abducted, sexually assaulted and strangled Monica Jack in May 1978

Most Read