Jacob Hoggard, right, frontman for the rock group Hedley, performs during the band’s concert in Halifax on Friday, February 23, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

Hedley to take ‘indefinite hiatus’ after tour

Amid sexual misconduct allegations, Hedley to take ‘indefinite hiatus’ after tour

Canadian band Hedley, which is facing mounting allegations of sexual misconduct, will be taking an “indefinitely hiatus” after its cross-country tour at the end of March.

In a statement on Twitter late Wednesday, the Vancouver-based band said members unanimously decided on the hiatus to “work on our personal relationships and who we are as individuals.”

The former MuchMusic darlings — fronted by Jacob Hoggard and including Dave Rosin, Tommy Mac and Jay Benison — have been under fire since sexual misconduct allegations began surfacing online two weeks ago, suggesting inappropriate encounters with young fans.

In the fallout, the group has since been dropped by its management team, blacklisted by scores of radio stations and abandoned by musicians booked as tour openers.

Related: Refunds given out for Hedley concerts

Hedley also withdrew itself from consideration for the Juno Awards and backed out of performing on the telecast.

The band’s next show in their Cageless tour is scheduled for Thursday in Brampton, Ont., but a March 11 performance in Windsor, Ont., was cancelled by the venue on Tuesday. The last show on the tour is scheduled for March 23 in Kelowna, B.C.

Related: Hedley tour to stop in Kelowna

Live Nation Entertainment-owned companies have been providing refunds to some fans who now regret buying tickets to Hedley in concert, but subsidiaries of the company have also been denying refund requests for others.

“We have chosen to honour our commitment to this tour for our crew (who are like family), for the countless people that depend on this tour for their livelihood, our families, and most importantly, for our fans,” the band said in a statement.

Hoggard was also accused Wednesday of groping and making inappropriate sexual remarks to a Calgary radio host seven years ago. And, a CBC story on Sunday recounted a 24-year-old woman’s allegation that Hoggard sexually assaulted her in a hotel two years ago.

Related: Concert-goers unfazed by Hedley sexual misconduct allegations

In a separate statement Wednesday on Twitter, Hoggard said he has never engaged in non-consensual sexual behaviour, but acknowledged his treatment of women has been “reckless” and “dismissive.”

“I understand the significant harm that is caused not only to the women I interacted with, but to all women who are degraded by this type of behaviour,” Hoggard said. “I have been careless and indifferent and I have no excuse. For this I am truly sorry.”

He also offered an apologized to the people, institutions and organizations that have supporting him.

“I promise to work every day to regain your respect. I know it won’t happen overnight,” Hoggard said.

“I was given a position of leadership and power and I mishandled it. I will regret this for the rest of my life. I’ve let down my family, my friends and so many fans.”

Daniela Germano, The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

B.C. Green Party pushes for wild salmon commissioner

The role would serve as a unifying force in the provincial government

BC Ferries confirms Northern Sea Wolf will not sail until mid-July

BC Ferries had hoped to get the vessel in September of last year, but it didn’t arrive until December

UPDATED: Horgan says B.C. defending its interests in Trans Mountain pipeline

Canadian finance minister’s update comes the same day Kinder Morgan shareholders plan to meet

5 things to know about B.C. Floods 2018

Snowpacks continue to melt causing thousands to be displaced, dozens of local states of emergency

VIDEO: Canadian Forces help flood-ravaged Grand Forks residents heal

Sgt. Bradley Lowes says the military is used to dealing with traumatic times

Chilliwack Chiefs make history with first RBC Cup win

In front of a huge and noisy crowd, the Chiefs claimed their first-ever national junior A title.

UPDATED: More than half of flood evacuees in Kootenay-Boundary allowed to return home

Officials hope to have all 3,000 people back in their homes by Monday night

B.C. Lions bring back 6-time all-star offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye

He was acquired by the Montreal Alouettes last year.

Whitecaps rally for 2-2 draw with FC Dallas

Vancouver climbed out of a two-nil hole to tie FC Dallas 2-2

B.C. VIEWS: Making sense of climate policy

Flood and fire predictions have poor track record so far

Chilliwack Chiefs moving on to RBC Cup final after thrilling win over Ottawa

Kaden Pickering scored the winning goal in the 3rd period as Chilliwack won their semi-final 3-2.

VIDEO: As floodwaters recede, crews assess the damage to Grand Forks’ downtown

More than four dozen firefighters and building inspectors came out to help

Wellington Dukes pull off epic upset of Wenatchee at RBC Cup

The Dukes are off to the championship game after downing the Wild 2-1 Saturday at Prospera Centre.

Most Read